Welcome to Autumn/Winter (A/W) 2018! Hasn’t it been utterly gorgeous so far (yes I know it has rained too but let’s not focus on that for now – winter is not for thinking about right now), beautiful warm days, blue skies and the changing colours of the trees. It is such a special time of year, a time for reflection, contemplation, of letting go whilst the trees leaves turn a new colour and fall to the ground. I have spent a lot of my time walking in parks and along the seafront pondering how I want to end my year. What joy.
So, from a fashion perspective this type of stunning autumn makes fashion choices tricky. Hot, cold, will it rain, will the wind blow, what is it doing? The reality is that I dislike cold/wet/windy weather, so despite blue skies and warm weather this A/W I am often lugging about extra layers in my rucksack – just incase the weather turns!
You know what is coming next don’t you – LAYERS season. I am not going to talk about the style choices in this blog, I will cover that in the next one. I am just going to talk about practicality, after all – fashion needs to be practical for us mere mortals who have days jobs, children, school runs, clubs, friend meet-ups, gym classes, bootcamps, business breakfasts and so on. This blog is not for the 1% lols! Here is my quick hack list below to ensure you are set for any type of autumn day:
- Vest – boring as it seems, wear one. It will safeguard you against the cold, plus if it is too warm and you need to remove your coat/jacket or blazer and with a vest on you will still be warm enough (my mum would be proud).
- Scarf – pack one. When the breeze picks up and your coat is open because it is too warm to close, you will be super chuffed this item is in your bag!
- Umbrella – obvs it’s England. Rain could arrive at any moment regardless of the forecast. (Michael Fish, hurricane ’87 need I say more, f*ck I am old, lols)
- Light windbreaker – easy and light to carry and can be thrown on at a moments notice.
- Small jumper or cardy – if like me, paranoid about getting cold. The joy I experience putting this on the moment I am no longer walking in the sun, it’s totally worth it.
- Sunnies – it’s often bright, so regardless of the fact it is not summer anymore, keep to the hand.
- Rucksack – so much better for your back then a oversized bag. I really can’t be bothered with shiny swish big bags anymore, they get in the way, plus there are an opportunity to a thief (not that I have ever had my handbag nicked off me, thank goodness, sorry to all those that have).
So now we have the practicalities out of the way. Let’s crack on with our style options this season, whoop whoop.
Catch you in the next blog post.